Home      About us      Links      Photos with Teddy  

Amelia didn't go to her skating class this morning for obvious reasons, so she and I stayed home and cleaned the house.


We sorted clothing and did laundry and cleaned bathrooms and generally worked hard. Amelia was surprisingly helpful. I was pretty happy about getting Amelia down to only two bankers boxes worth of "too big" clothes, when I discovered a whole 'nother large box. Sigh... So we have four boxes of footwear and eight boxes of clothing in storage, which seems excessive but at least that's down significantly from last week when we had twice that.


After all that cleaning I desperately needed to get out of the house and Amelia seemed fine so after lunch I took the kids to the Glebe Community Association's 50th anniversary party. Cake! Balloons! Face Painting! Community art projects! Free T-Shirts! The kids thought it was great and it was a nice way to spend an afternoon.


Friday was a pretty terrible day.


It started out with the kids missing the bus for the first time ever. Bus has been coming about 10-20 minutes late every day (the one day it was an hour and ten minutes late!), and when they finally figured out their schedule after much complaining it figured that it would be on a Friday when I get the kids ready by myself. It also figures it was on a day that the kids were very slow to get ready. We saw the bus go but it was gone by the time we made it to our stop. Faintly hoping we could salvage the day, I practically threw Amelia at my lovely neighbour who foolishly asked if she could do anything to help and then took off with the other two running towards the last stop. We missed it too by the skin of our teeth. The kids were pretty unhappy. Elizabeth wanted to start walking to school immediately but I decided I'd better retrieve Amelia and we texted Daddy for a rescue. I was impressed and amused that despite being very grumpy, the kids immediately started brainstorming solutions for never, ever missing the school bus again.


We've been telling the kids for years that if they vigorously shove their chairs away from the table it could tip over backwards (since they aren't tall enough to push with their feet).


So we were eating lunch and of course Amelia decided she was done and pushed her chair and it flipped. Right into the radiator. She was so upset she couldn't finish her mouthful of cookie and had to spit it out.


We applied ice and first I and then Janice checked her for injuries. I was pretty confident there was no risk of any kind of spinal injury because she's luckily short enough that her neck and torso was nicely supported by the chair all the way down. We were worried about a potential concussion though, and when I saw the mark the radiator had left on her skull and felt the twin bumps on her head I thought we'd better go to CHEO to get a professional opinion in case there was a fracture or something.


Janice offered to come along, which was nice since Brendan needed to stay to get Matthew off the school bus.


CHEO ER seemed pretty busy as there was a line-up for triage, but after a while we were seen. Janice felt that the ER decorations could use some improvement in the form of proper coloured lights on the wings :) The ER doc diagnosed a concussion but no skull fracture and sent us home with sheets of paper telling us what to expect and when to come back. Amelia is telling everyone about her "owie" head that she got due to "dat ra-ee-ator thingy". At supper she asked for help pushing back her chair - like she's supposed to - for the first time ever.


On the plus side, Matthew got his first yellow-white stripe at karate.


It was Terry Fox day, and both Elizabeth and Matthew's classes went to the local park to run laps. Well, the kindergarten marked to the park and then mostly cheered on the older kids (it's about a 600m walk to the park from the little school)


I went along to supervise Matthew's class (first field trip!) Elizabeth was quite dismayed that I wasn't accompanying her. "But Mom! My teacher said there were two parents coming and I was SURE you were one of them. How could you leave me with STRANGERS????" I pointed out that she was certain to know at least one of the parents, and it turned out that her friend Olivia's mom was one of them, so hardly a stranger LOL.


Wonderful dinner at the Foolish Chicken tonight with godfather Michael, Kaitlyn (who just lost a tooth!) and a new stuffed dog for Elizabeth that she apparently won at school for good behaviour. Guess who left the dog at the restaurant?


Daddy went back for it and won many points.


It was the hottest day of the year, but because skating lessons have started up again we left the house in full snow gear. By the time we got home it was 35C!


Our rink (St Laurent) is one of the coldest in the city so we needed that gear, but it was a little strange walking up to the arena in mittens, hat etc with everyone else in t-shirts and shorts.


It was Amelia's first formal lesson. Daddy had to work pretty hard to get Amelia interested in skating (she wanted Mommy), but the stuffies on the ice and the instructor flopping on his belly to sing the "fishies in the water, fishies in the sea" song were sufficiently interesting to redirect the storm.


We told Elizabeth she doesn't have to take lessons anymore, but they had an appropriate group for her and it seemed like it would be more fun to skate than to sit and watch so she's participating.


After skating we came home and cooled off in the paddling pool with neighbours until late afternoon. Then Elizabeth and Matthew went to their MUCH anticipated "Nerf Battle" at karate. Amelia cried all the way home when she realized she didn't get to stay. We may have eventually placated her by having candy and pizza for supper (this is what the older two taunted her with right before leaving the car, in a "we get to have this and you don't!" kind of way. Gah! Siblings!!!).


I picked the kids up way past Matthew's bedtime (which possibly was part of the appeal for him). I was quite dismayed to arrive to find him sitting lethargically in the hall holding an ice pack to his head. Apparently he got shot in the head at close range a few minutes before I showed up, but once I showed up he was keen to tell me all about how awesome everything was and how he'd eaten THREE pieces of pizza and drunk TWO whole juice boxes and how that was even more than Elizabeth cuz she just had ONE juice box. I took them home sweaty and happy, and thankfully all in one piece.


 Previous Posts /  Following Posts

Recent posts:
*History museum
*Ash Wednesday
*Toy monster

February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
May 2008
Start at the beginning

Powered by Phibian Technologies Inc. Content Layout Engine  
Copyright © 2018