Home      About us      Links      Photos with Teddy  
January 11, 2018

Our plan was to leave the hospital as soon as possible, so we let the nurses know that we wished to have all the bloodwork and various tests done as soon as possible.


In particular, we wanted to have the baby hearing test done because when Amelia was born the hearing test tech assumed we'd still be there after 48 hours and went home before testing her. This meant we had to go to the hearing center to do the test later. The message was passed along and the hearing tech went home anyway. The nurses were a little surprised and we were annoyed but at least we already know what to do.


The heel prick tests used to be done at the nurses station (and that was always Daddy's job). Now they do it while baby nurses in the room. I guess it makes sense but I preferred not being involved. Michael hardly flinched at first but he had to have two heel sticks in order to get enough blood and it took a really long time so after a few minutes of that he had had enough. I didn't blame him.


I was happy to hear that my bloodwork showed that my iron levels had hardly dropped at all ("They are normal") and Michael was showing no signs of jaundice.


I was cleared to go home at around ten in the morning, but we had to wait around a very long time for Michael. The nurses annoyed me very much by repeatedly making comments about how most C-sections stay 48 hours. Eventually the pediatrician showed up to evaluate Michael and explained that the reason for the delay was they were having trouble locating his last ultrasound results.


At Michael's growth check at 32 weeks there was a slight anomaly with his kidneys. Something about the distance between the ureter walls was slightly too big which meant that he could have problems with urine backing up from the bladder into the kidneys. Now, supposedly the problem was only flagged under the old guidelines and the doctor was careful to explain that it was likely that it would self-resolve. Anyway, I went in for another ultrasound at 36 weeks to see if the problem was getting worse. The day of my ultrasound (Dec 19) we had a massive snowstorm. So many people were late for their appointments and so many technicians were either on holidays or sick that the clinic actually called me to ask whether I could possibly come in the following day. So I went in the next day and then promptly forgot all about it at my next two OB appointments since I was much more worried about the whole blood pressure thing. Turns out that the ultrasound clinic was so backed up they forgot to read the results and so the 36 week ultrasound had never been sent to the OB. So we spent hours sitting around waiting for this to happen so that the pediatrician could find out what follow-up treatment he needed to do (eg meds). I was kind of kicking myself for not checking on this before the surgery though, especially since my OB had been on vacation the preceding week. In any case the paperwork eventually came through and it appears that everything is fine. Michael will need a follow-up at CHEO in a couple of weeks (before which I am not allowed to nurse him for two hours, so that's going to be amusing) but we expect that will likely be the end of it.


As soon as we were cleared to go we left. Janice brought Elizabeth and Grandma J along to help us carry all of our stuff out to the car.


It had been a snow day (and none of the kids wanted to go to school!) so they stayed home to play with Grandma H and Auntie Janice and wait for us to come home. They made a lot of puzzles and a pretty amazing welcome home sign. Everyone was pretty excited when we first walked in the door.


I even felt okay to eat supper downstairs before tackling the many many stairs in our house. Everyone gazed adoringly at "dat baby" as Amelia has dubbed him.

Leave a comment:
E-mail * This is not displayed online!
Please enter the text you see in the picture:
Please identify the text in this image

 Previous Posts /  Following Posts

Recent posts:
-12th day of Christmas
-Sledding disaster
-Hanging with Kaitlyn

January 2019
December 2018
November 2018
October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
May 2008
Start at the beginning

Powered by Phibian Technologies Inc. Content Layout Engine  
Copyright © 2019