Home      About us      Links      Photos with Teddy  
July 14, 2012

We went camping with the usual suspects, plus Josie and Dan's sister Anna and Auntie Janice. Caitlyn and Aidan's daddy Dave came along this time too!


The fire ban due to drought meant we had to toast our marshmallows over propane stove instead of roaring campfire, but they still tasted good.


Looking back at the pictures, we had a pretty good time, though my memories are rather overshadowed by the other main effect of the drought: an increase in ground hornet activity. Turned out that our camp sites straddled a wasp "supernest".  Of course the kids ran right over it. Of course Elizabeth was stung. Six times!


Auntie Yukiko was stung several times as well, once before the main incident, and a number of times while rescuing her niece. Luckily Dianne and Auntie Janice both have good first aid skills. Dianne grabbed her ice and the two of them set to work icing, applying afterbite and removing stingers (tip: use a credit card, not tweezers to avoid squeezing poison into the bite). Elizabeth screamed nonstop for more than an hour and refused to unbend her legs or put any weight on them. So the nice park wardens called an ambulance for us to get her checked out. The paramedics got her calmed down with the help of a small stuffed animal, checked her blood pressure etc and concluded that it was psychological trauma so we decided to go to bed instead of emergency. They left "Ambulance Bear" behind for Elizabeth to keep as a souvenir. Elizabeth didn't sleep terribly well, but Auntie Janice picked up a bunch of anti-itch supplies from a nearby pharmacy and we applied a number of these in turn every couple of hours all night.  I was very glad that we were car camping and not canoeing several days away from help.


In the morning Elizabeth's swellings had gone down significantly and most of the bites had entirely disappeared. Auntie Yukiko was not so lucky - her hand especially swelled and swelled until she could hardly bend it. She ended up heading to an urgent care clinic right after lunch. (She's all better now!)


None of the kids wanted to go home. Elizabeth cried as we left. "I wanted to stay forever and ever and ever."

Leave a comment:
E-mail * This is not displayed online!
Please enter the text you see in the picture:
Please identify the text in this image

 Previous Posts /  Following Posts

Recent posts:
-Third stripe on Yellow black belt
-Movie Night
-Silly Sock Week

October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
May 2008
Start at the beginning

Powered by Phibian Technologies Inc. Content Layout Engine  
Copyright © 2018