Home      About us      Links      Photos with Teddy  
February 28, 2009

Mary and Brendan are thrilled to announce the birth of their daughter Elizabeth Eliana. February 28, 2009 at 11:08 am 6 pounds, 3 ounces and 18 inches Mom and baby are both doing well.


We went into the hospital for 6am and starting looking for room 1A-159 as instructed by the person at the special number. Unfortunately, I neglected to bring the directions explaining how to find this room (it was 5:30am when we left and I was somewhat preoccupied!). We wandered around the first floor for a bit until we found a real live person and they suggested we go to the maternity triage desk. Since that’s where Jessica the midwife had told us to go, we decided to try it. They were obviously expecting us – “Are you Dr. Gravelle’s patient?” Brendan’s mom had driven us to the hospital and my mom showed up about an hour later (Grandmothers are allowed to wait to see the baby right away. I guess they figure grandfathers can wait, since they were never mentioned!)


The nurse checked out my vitals, listened to baby’s heartbeat, started an IV and explained to us what the procedure was going to be. The IV really hurt, as usual. You could see a red line of irritation gradually spreading and I was starting to feel quite cranky about the IV.


Time for our seventh and final ultrasound. A med student came to do the initial ultrasound. She was very tentative – able to follow the spine but unsure which end she was looking at. So I impressed the med student by pointing out various body parts. After having had so many ultrasounds particularly in the last few weeks I’m definitely able to locate the head when it shows up on the screen, especially since I know where the head is in relationship to my stomach. Her supervising doctor came then to go over it with her. He had a much better understanding of what he was doing, but it made us realize how good the ultrasound techs that do this day in day out actually were (much less having to follow body parts to find other body parts).


By this time it was nearly 7:30am, but the doctor explained that there had been quite a few caesareans the day before, which had bumped some emergency orthopaedic cases. Those surgeons were currently pleading their case for operating time. He said we might need to wait until 8pm or maybe even until the next day! Since I had been fasting since 11pm the night before and already cranky about the IV, I was not impressed to hear this. Luckily the wait was actually only about an hour and a half, and before we knew it the nurses were back to replace the saline with various anti-nausea and other drugs.


The nurses had all threatened me with having to drink a vile tasting “shooter” – apparently a different kind of anti-nausea drug. When the anaesthetist showed up, however, he decided I could be let off the hook since I’d experienced virtually no heartburn during my pregnancy (“lucky girl” he said) and since I had not had anything to eat since about 9pm the night before. Based on the sheer number of comments, the drug must taste pretty bad.


We headed to surgery sometime after 10am. The porter helped me lean forward (“slouch”) sitting on the operating table while they painted my back with a really cold liquid. I was then slathered in some kind of numbing gel, and then a quick pinch for the freezing shot. It didn’t hurt too much – less painful than getting freezing at the dentist. I was pretty keyed up though. I believe that the morphine shot happened in here too, but I didn’t notice. The actual anaesthetic felt like a warm flush going down my leg. Since the operating room itself was very cold, it felt wonderful! I confess I was a bit worried because the left leg got warm much sooner than the right and I was wondering whether he had missed. The porter and anaesthetist helped me lie down on the table and suddenly everyone sprung into action. Some were attaching a blanket to block my sight, others adjusting drugs for the IV, setting up monitors, still others putting me on oxygen and painting my stomach with iodine. There were a surprising number of people all working together like a well-oiled machine. I could feel that my legs were being moved around, but when they asked me to tell them when I felt the cold of the iodine (one way they check the progress of the freezing), I felt nothing at all.


They seemed very happy by how fast the freezing took effect for me. I was told that I’d be pinched hard in places to check the freezing but since I couldn’t feel anything I have no idea whether that happened or not. I remember being surprised by how close the blanket was to my face. For some reason I had expected it to be a foot or so away, not thinking about the fact that in order to operate they’d probably need to see the entire stomach area! After a few minutes things were pretty much set up. The blanket was replaced with a sterile drape. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the surgeons enter the room, hands freshly washed. In addition to Dr. Gravelle, there was a medical student and a second obstetrician.


Brendan was ushered in to sit by my head, looking very medical in his scrubs. I was pretty impressed that they managed to find scrubs tall enough to fit him properly! The anaesthetist explained that if Brendan felt lightheaded at any point he was to lie on the floor – they didn’t want him keeling into the table.


All of a sudden, the anaesthetist announced that the surgery had begun – he actually gave us a bit of a running commentary throughout the operation which was really nice. I was really surprised that the surgery had started – up to that point I’d felt pressure in various areas as they got things ready, but when it came time for the actual incision I felt nothing at all. The caesarean had been described to me as a lot of “tugging” when I was reading about it in advance, and although I didn’t think much of that description before the surgery, I have to admit that I can’t think of a better way to describe the sensation. I told Brendan sotto voce that it was a really strange way to have a baby. Apparently Dr. Gravelle has very good hearing as she told us that the baby being born was more important than how. It was kind of startling because I’d almost forgotten about all the other people on the other side of the sheet!


As they pulled Elizabeth out by the feet, Dr. Gravelle congratulated us on our decision not to try turning the baby and confirmed that the caesarean had been completely necessary, as the umbilical cord was tightly wrapped around her neck three times. Needless to say, Brendan and I were very relieved to hear the baby start to cry. Elizabeth was taken over to the warming station and checked out, and Brendan went to see her. After a few minutes they both came over to see me. She was beautiful! Brendan, Elizabeth, the midwife and the crew assigned to the baby then left to get checked out in the nursery. I was expecting to feel a bit left out and lonely, but the anaesthetist kept me distracted until the end of the operation. It wasn’t long before I was wheeled into recovery and the nurse announced that baby was on her way back to visit! The anaesthetic wore off pretty quickly for me – whatever drug they used just worked perfectly and was exactly right for what was needed.


Today's verse in our little devotional book was very fitting for today.


Joshua 10:12-14.

Joshua prayed to the LORD ... "Let the sun stand still ..." So the sun stood still ... There has never been a day like this one before or since, when the LORD answered such a prayer. (NLT)


Who knows what God might do because of your prayer today!  If you knew God would grant your prayer request, what would you pray for?


What a fitting question for today. 


February 27, 2009

I went to the hospital today for pre-surgery blood tests and was strongly reminded of “La maison qui rend fou” from Les Douze Travaux d’Astérix (English version)


I was initially directed to head to the obstetrics ward to report for my surgery – which was a bit disconcerting since I thought I was just in for bloodwork! Turns out the receptionist had simply misread the date. I was then directed from one wicket to the next. The nurse drawing blood did a fantastic job – I have notoriously difficult veins and often end up with multiple pokes and quite a lot of bruising. This time I have no bruising at all, which I don’t think has ever happened before.


I have now been officially admitted to the Montfort – complete with bracelet; but luckily they did let me go home… After returning to the first wicket with all my paperwork duly stamped I finally did get my special number to call but it can only be used between the hours of two and four pm. It’s a bit disconcerting to know that I am having surgery tomorrow, but not to have any idea when to show up nor where to go.


February 25, 2009

We attended the Montfort’s “Virtual Tour” this evening – essentially an orientation session with one of the nurses who went over the various procedures for coming to the hospital, showed us pictures of the maternity ward areas, went over some of the things we could expect and answered questions. The nurse was extremely nice.


We filled out some additional paperwork – one of which was obviously an assessment for post-partum depression risk. I was amused by the question that asked whether we had experienced or were about to experience major life changes recently since virtually every aspect of our life is undergoing major change at the moment. Presumably they were not counting becoming parents...


We particularly appreciated hearing about the reasoning behind some of the rules in place on the ward (visiting hours are only 4pm to 8pm daily). She explained that they had found that longer hours were hard on new mothers, resulting often in overtired parents melting down emotionally towards the end of the evening. The regulations have obviously been well thought out. The nurse explained that they do sometimes allow exceptions at the discretion of the nurses – the idea is not to follow the rules for the sake of the rules, but to look out for the best welfare of mom and baby. Unfortunately Erika won’t be able to come and visit as she is under the age of 14 and not a sibling. We might have been able to get an exception with some begging, except that Erika has also had a bad cold.


The entire maternity wing is new as of this summer and it looks very nice. Since we are scheduled for a c-section, we’ll probably be put in a “traditional” room – defined as a room with a shower, instead of Jacuzzi tub. (Getting into a tub after a c-section is apparently not something that is very easy at first.) We’ve signed up for a ward room since it’s free and we don’t have any additional coverage. We were also relieved to hear that the Montfort doesn’t “do” sugar water supplementation – something that other area hospitals have been known to do without consulting the parents...


I was quite embarrassed to find myself in tears after hearing about what to expect during and after a caesarean – as I told the nurse this is so dramatically different from the natural home birth plans we had hoped for. I do feel a bit better about going to the hospital after the tour.


Our sixth ultrasound today confirmed that Elizabeth is still a girl :) She is also still firmly transverse, so it looks like the caesarean is going to go ahead as scheduled this Saturday.

February 23, 2009
The Montfort called today to set up an appointment for blood work on Friday. I’ve been told I need to start fasting as of 11pm on Friday evening, regardless of the time of surgery on Saturday. They didn’t give us any additional information – details like when and where to show up are apparently on a need-to-know basis and we don’t need to know yet. I’ll apparently get a special number to call after Friday’s appointment which will give us all the information.

 Previous Posts /  Following Posts

Recent posts:
-Great Blue Heron
-Misty morning and a beautiful day
-Slime, canoe tipping, beach bathtub and ski show
-Point swim, swings and robots
-Beach inbetween rain and pony

August 2019
July 2019
June 2019
May 2019
April 2019
March 2019
February 2019
January 2019
December 2018
November 2018
October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
May 2008
Start at the beginning

Powered by Phibian Technologies Inc. Content Layout Engine  
Copyright © 2019