March 22, 2010
One upmanship

We're digging ourselves out of a mountain of laundry and other household chores that have been put on hold during the last week, not to mention catching up at work.  So please excuse the delay in blog updates.


My dentist asked me how our weekend was this morning.  He was a bit shocked to hear we'd spent pratically the entire time at the hospital.  I think he had been fishing for sympathy as his wife just had a hip replacement and wasn't expecting to hear such a tale of woe.  I was very sympathetic!  My root canal this morning did go well, although once the six shots of freezing wore off I found out why my dentist prescribed T3s.  Ouch...


Auntie Janice recovered dramatically from her illness after anti-nausea drugs and IV fluids (still under the weather, but much better).  Elizabeth is still throwing up a couple of times a day.


On the seventh day of PukeFest, the doctor gave to us: seven days of antibiotics...


I've learned some new parenting skills in this month of health crises.


  1. What to bring to the emergency room.
  2. How to check for dehydration in a one year old (dark circles under the eyes, sunken eyes, lethargy, cold extremities, dry mouth, reduced volume of pee, sunken fontenelle at the top of the head).
  3. How to give Elizabeth oral medication when she really, really doesn't want it.  We have 6.5mL to swallow twice a day. 
3 photos / videos

You might also like:
- Pandemic ER
- Crawling and Co-Sleeping
- Hemangioma update
- Elizabeth almost gets weaned
- Sportball

March 21, 2010
Enough already!

So, I'd have continued my update about our emergency visit with Elizabeth yesterday, but we had to take my sister to adult emergency after she threw up thirteen times in eight hours.  I wish I was kidding.


I feel like we should hang a quarantine flag outside our house.  Stay away!  This is the house of so much sickness that we even made up a song about it.


On the first day of PukeFest, my sister brought to me: a large blue bucket for me.

On the second day of PukeFest, my sister brought to me: two damp cloths and a large blue bucket for me.

On the third day of PukeFest, my sister brought to me: three yoghurts, two damp cloths and a large blue bucket for me.

On the fourth day of PukeFest, my sister brought to me: four bowls of jello, three yoghurts, two damp cloths and a large blue bucket for me.

On the fifth day of PukeFest, my sister brought to me: five cups of ginger ale! Four bowls of jello, three yoghurts, two damp cloths and a large blue bucket for me.


We were debating what day six would bring and Brendan brought the songwriting to an end by stating that we all got better.  Unfortunately, day six instead brought a completely listless Elizabeth who wouldn't open her eyes.  She'd had a rough night, tossing and turning without ever settling down.  Mom was awake until nearly 4:30am trying to help her find a comfortable spot.  At one point we even took her to the bathroom, turned on the shower and let it steam away in an attempt to help clear her congested airways.  Much use of the nasal aspirator and saline solution also occurred. 


At 11:30am, Elizabeth finally opened her eyes for the first time.  She seemed awfully hot and had bit of a temperature (about 38C under the armpit).  We decided we should take her to the clinic as her temperature rose and she became less and less responsive.  The clinic doctor diagnosed a "raging ear infection" but because of her lethargy and general "look" of her he felt she might also have a UTI and asked us to go to the hospital.


I've never been to the CHEO emergency room before, but now after three different emergency rooms in less than a month I feel like a connoisseur.  It's very confusing when you arrive with unclear signs pointing in different directions, but I guess they are under construction so hopefully this is a temporary problem.  We had to wait about half an hour before we were even triaged, which made us wonder what the protocol was for more urgent emergencies.  They gave Elizabeth some tylenol right away because her temperature had risen to 39 point something and the nurse was afraid of seizures.  She was also hooked up with a bag to collect a urine sample and we were sent away to wait.


On the sixth day of PukeFest, the doctor brought to us: six hours of waiting...  Yes, we waited a long time. Not quite six hours before seeing a doctor, but probably six hours of waiting total!  The place was very busy.  When we finally got to an ER doctor, his first comment was "You've been here since FIVE?" I didn't want to tell him we'd actually been here since 4:30...


They ruled out UTI and then attempted to orally hydrate Elizabeth with pedialyte and apple juice.  I say attempted because Elizabeth doesn't really take liquids except from mom yet.  She'll drink the odd sip from a cup but just has no idea what to do with a bottle (and we did try).  She thought the pedialyte tasted gross and that was that.  They decided not to do an IV because they felt she was borderline and I agreed, so they sent us home with strict instructions to come back if she showed any signs of dehydration.

1 photos / videos

You might also like:
- The Big Clock
- Home again, home again
- Family Day
- Karate Tournament, Birthday and ER Part 2

March 20, 2010

"Please see this little girl who looks so unwell.  Temperature 38.5  Possible UTI???"


So read the note of the on-call clinic physician to our local Children's Hospital's emergency department where we had been sent.  "I hate to send parents to CHEO", he said, "because you might have to wait a long time.  But you should go there right now."


To be continued... 


You might also like:
- Last appointment
- Yellow belt one stripe
- Capital of extremes
- Fence Day the second

March 18, 2010
March Pukefest

Elizabeth has either had a cold, a cough or the stomach flu for most of the last month.  Our poor baby!


Now both mom and dad have spent the last couple of days discovering the joys of family illness.  It turns out it is very difficult to stay well hydrated as a sick breastfeeding mom.  On the upside Elizabeth is much better except when she throws up (approximately every 12 hours), but she's rather perplexed that mom and dad have suddenly taken to spending all day in bed.  Boring!  I'm feeling tentatively better as well, aside from an absessed tooth needing a root canal on Monday.  Brendan is still feeling completely rotten.


I tried the black tea eventually.  Didn't seem to help!

3 photos / videos

You might also like:
- Epiphany Back to School
- 12 Hours of Christmas
- Repointing
- Tummy Bug
- Chicken Chicken

March 16, 2010
Tummy Bug

Elizabeth has been sick the last few days with a vicious tummy bug. Unlike last time, Elizabeth is as happy as a clam most of the time.  She's even been helping us clean out our basement...  (We went to Home Depot on Sunday before she got sick where she was thrilled to drive the race car shopping cart.)


Then she gets a bit fussy and we go through our list.  "Do you need to go to the toilet?"  "Need a diaper change?" "Are you hungry?" "Do you need a nap?"  BWAWP... goes Elizabeth.  Usually all over Mom.  Getting completely drenched in vomit is not my idea of a good time.  Elizabeth doesn't enjoy it much either, although she seems to love the baths afterwards.


Our employee Irina has been recommending black tea.  A few years ago she dosed me with Eucalyptus tea that was very effective if a bit vile so if Elizabeth is still sick tomorrow I might try it... 

1 photos / videos

You might also like:
- Dentist
- 52 cm of Snow
- Ballet
- Capital of extremes
- First day of Maternelle

Newer posts
Older posts

© 2020. All rights reserved.