March 28, 2010
Home Church

Elizabeth and I didn't get to go to church this morning because she still had a fever and we felt we shouldn't pass it on to the numerous babies there.


Sometime mid-morning the fever broke and Elizabeth went back to her normal chipper self.  We had church just the two of us, reading her Noah's Ark book and singing Jesus loves me complete with actions.  Auntie Janice and Daddy brought home a palm to wave, which was very popular.

2 photos / videos

You might also like

- New back (0.307443)
- Home again (0.297297)
- Snow! (0.296625)
- Pooh Sticks (0.296355)
- Homecoming (0.296) All

March 27, 2010
We obviously need to eat more apples

We obviously need to eat more apples because no sooner did Elizabeth finish her antibiotics than she came down with another big fever in the night and we spent 24 hours giving her Tylenol every four hours or so.


Elizabeth and I duly headed off to the clinic, and after a long and patient wait we finally managed to see the doctor.  He checked that her ears were now free of infection and listened to her chest.  "Hmm", he said.  "I thought from your description that she had a chest infection, but it is clear."  He heard that she had stopped throwing up but was now on day 12 of diarrhea.  "That's too long!" he said.  No kidding!  So Elizabeth is supposed to avoid dairy in case she's developped some lactose intolerance as a result of the flu, and we're to go back in seven days.  In the meantime I need to feed her more (she's lost weight) and hydrate her.  "Give her more fluids" he said sternly.  "Try coke."  Coke?!? Apparently it has electrolytes. 


PS. After checking with my pediatrician neighbour, I've determined that I'm going to ignore the advice about coke.  We seem to be attracting goof-ball doctors lately.

4 photos / videos

You might also like

- Street Sweepers (0.359599)
- The orange cup (0.357602)
- Vomiting blood (0.354644)
- Broken nose (0.35443)
- Mastitis (0.353175) All

March 25, 2010

Elizabeth is feeling much better (no more throwing up - woo hoo!) but she does seem to have caught a nasty cough.  Hopefully it will go away soon because I am bored of writing about injury and illness.  Bleh.


It's time to start doing fun things again, like the time we went swimming at Grandma and Grandpa J's condo a couple of Saturdays ago right before we got sick.  Elizabeth loved the giant bathtub...  I had been worried about how she'd react to the temperature but it turned out the water was 32 degrees; warm enough that even Daddy admitted it was a nice temperature.  She splashed and laughed and played with the pool macaronis (what else would YOU call short pool noodles?).


In other news, Elizabeth has discovered that her finger is exactly the same size as her nostril.  Daddy spends quite a lot of time these days explaining to her that while it is a pretty exciting discovery, she really needs to stop showing off this new skill.  Mommy probably doesn't help matters with all the giggles.



10 photos / videos

You might also like

- Water Baby (0.366627)
- Boxing Day (0.360054)
- Roommates (0.359894)
- Three at a time (0.359467)
- About the boy (0.359408) All

March 22, 2010
One upmanship

We're digging ourselves out of a mountain of laundry and other household chores that have been put on hold during the last week, not to mention catching up at work.  So please excuse the delay in blog updates.


My dentist asked me how our weekend was this morning.  He was a bit shocked to hear we'd spent pratically the entire time at the hospital.  I think he had been fishing for sympathy as his wife just had a hip replacement and wasn't expecting to hear such a tale of woe.  I was very sympathetic!  My root canal this morning did go well, although once the six shots of freezing wore off I found out why my dentist prescribed T3s.  Ouch...


Auntie Janice recovered dramatically from her illness after anti-nausea drugs and IV fluids (still under the weather, but much better).  Elizabeth is still throwing up a couple of times a day.


On the seventh day of PukeFest, the doctor gave to us: seven days of antibiotics...


I've learned some new parenting skills in this month of health crises.


  1. What to bring to the emergency room.
  2. How to check for dehydration in a one year old (dark circles under the eyes, sunken eyes, lethargy, cold extremities, dry mouth, reduced volume of pee, sunken fontenelle at the top of the head).
  3. How to give Elizabeth oral medication when she really, really doesn't want it.  We have 6.5mL to swallow twice a day. 
3 photos / videos

You might also like

- Pandemic ER (0.36908)
- Crawling and Co-Sleeping (0.361446)
- Hemangioma update (0.360815)
- Elizabeth almost gets weaned (0.360465)
- Sportball (0.354488) All

March 21, 2010
Enough already!

So, I'd have continued my update about our emergency visit with Elizabeth yesterday, but we had to take my sister to adult emergency after she threw up thirteen times in eight hours.  I wish I was kidding.


I feel like we should hang a quarantine flag outside our house.  Stay away!  This is the house of so much sickness that we even made up a song about it.


On the first day of PukeFest, my sister brought to me: a large blue bucket for me.

On the second day of PukeFest, my sister brought to me: two damp cloths and a large blue bucket for me.

On the third day of PukeFest, my sister brought to me: three yoghurts, two damp cloths and a large blue bucket for me.

On the fourth day of PukeFest, my sister brought to me: four bowls of jello, three yoghurts, two damp cloths and a large blue bucket for me.

On the fifth day of PukeFest, my sister brought to me: five cups of ginger ale! Four bowls of jello, three yoghurts, two damp cloths and a large blue bucket for me.


We were debating what day six would bring and Brendan brought the songwriting to an end by stating that we all got better.  Unfortunately, day six instead brought a completely listless Elizabeth who wouldn't open her eyes.  She'd had a rough night, tossing and turning without ever settling down.  Mom was awake until nearly 4:30am trying to help her find a comfortable spot.  At one point we even took her to the bathroom, turned on the shower and let it steam away in an attempt to help clear her congested airways.  Much use of the nasal aspirator and saline solution also occurred. 


At 11:30am, Elizabeth finally opened her eyes for the first time.  She seemed awfully hot and had bit of a temperature (about 38C under the armpit).  We decided we should take her to the clinic as her temperature rose and she became less and less responsive.  The clinic doctor diagnosed a "raging ear infection" but because of her lethargy and general "look" of her he felt she might also have a UTI and asked us to go to the hospital.


I've never been to the CHEO emergency room before, but now after three different emergency rooms in less than a month I feel like a connoisseur.  It's very confusing when you arrive with unclear signs pointing in different directions, but I guess they are under construction so hopefully this is a temporary problem.  We had to wait about half an hour before we were even triaged, which made us wonder what the protocol was for more urgent emergencies.  They gave Elizabeth some tylenol right away because her temperature had risen to 39 point something and the nurse was afraid of seizures.  She was also hooked up with a bag to collect a urine sample and we were sent away to wait.


On the sixth day of PukeFest, the doctor brought to us: six hours of waiting...  Yes, we waited a long time. Not quite six hours before seeing a doctor, but probably six hours of waiting total!  The place was very busy.  When we finally got to an ER doctor, his first comment was "You've been here since FIVE?" I didn't want to tell him we'd actually been here since 4:30...


They ruled out UTI and then attempted to orally hydrate Elizabeth with pedialyte and apple juice.  I say attempted because Elizabeth doesn't really take liquids except from mom yet.  She'll drink the odd sip from a cup but just has no idea what to do with a bottle (and we did try).  She thought the pedialyte tasted gross and that was that.  They decided not to do an IV because they felt she was borderline and I agreed, so they sent us home with strict instructions to come back if she showed any signs of dehydration.

1 photos / videos

You might also like

- The Big Clock (0.44602)
- Home again, home again (0.445353)
- Family Day (0.440933)
- Karate Tournament, Birthday and ER Part 2 (0.439721)
- (0.438574) All

Newer posts
Older posts

© 2021. All rights reserved.