February 7, 2020
Sad bunny story

Noemie's bunny came for a visit while her family all went off somewhere warm and sunny for a week.  This is in and of itself not unusual.  We look after bunny fairly regularly and sometimes for much longer periods of time.  Bunny was deposited and kids duly fawned over him.  Bunny was totally normal and fine until bedtime on Thursday when it was noted that bunny didn't seem very interested in his supper.  In the morning he still hadn't touched his food and we tried a few things to see if we could coax him to eat.  Nothing doing so we looked up bunny not eating on google and had a freak out.  Turns out bunny not eating for 12 hours is a medical emergency for bunny.  So bunny needed to go to the vet ASAP.  Mommy calls other neighbours (who frequently dog sit for first neighbours) and inquires if they know name of bunny's vet.  They do and mommy calls vet and learns that yes bunny needs to be seen now and no the vet doesn't have any slots until 5:00pm so we need to take bunny to the specialty emergency vet.  Now this would normally not have been a problem except mommy had arranged to take Elizabeth and a whole pile of her friends skiing and they were scheduled to leave at 8:00am right as we figured out that bunny was in trouble.  So mommy dashes next door and tries to find the bunny's travel cage (as his normal cage is rather huge and unmanageable in a vehicle) while calling grandma to see if we could borrow her car for an emergency bunny vet visit and her for emergency babysitting.  She returns a moment later with cage sans door and hands it to increasingly freaking out daddy.  Daddy tells mommy that under no uncertain terms is she to leave until bunny is at least in the travel cage.  Mommy places bunny in travel cage and runs out the door.  Daddy grabs a mini-wheat box and duct-tapes it to the front of the cage to prevent bunny from making a run for it (having visions of driving down the highway in the now raging snow storm with bunny freaking out and jumping loose around the car.  Thankfully this did the trick and as soon as grandma appeared he dashed off to the emergency vet with bunny.  The emergency vet was great and all the staff were super nice but it very quickly became apparent that things were looking rather grim for bunny.  The vet explained that bunny had a major obstruction and the only possible cure would be emergency surgery which they didn't offer as a service and would likely require driving to Montreal.  Daddy furiously texted mommy who texted our neighbours in warm sunny location who texted back to mommy who texted back to daddy who relayed information to the vet.  It was all a bit surreal.  While decisions were being made as to whether or not bunny should be driven to Montreal for emergency surgery with a 50/50 chance of making it at best the vet came back to tell daddy that it was no longer a question of surgery or not and that bunny was going to be gone imminently.  Our neighbours managed to get on the phone with the vet and arrangements were made to put bunny out of his misery.  Daddy went home and explained to the kids that bunny was not coming back and there was much sadness.  Michael spent the next few days looking at bunny's cage and asking where bunny was.  Matthew cried himself to sleep.  Elizabeth burst into tears on the ski slope deeply alarming all of her friends.  Bunny may not have been our pet but we'd grown to love bunny and were very shocked and saddened to see bunny go.

Leave a comment
Please enter the text you see in the picture
Please identify the text in this image
3 photos / videos

You might also like

- Home again, home again (0.436747)
- Back to (virtual) school (0.43179)
- Crazy Pickles (0.428469)
- Thirty four months (0.427758)
- Sanitizer Showdown (0.426045) All